Most things in life don’t come free, but every 4 years, on a leap year, we get a whole extra day in the lovely month of February completely ‘mahala’, ‘gratis’, free! 2020 is a leap year, this means we have an extra day to live our life to the fullest. This year, our free day falls on a Saturday, so you are free to do whatever you want with your bonus 24 hours.
We know it’s a special time for 29 Feb-babies, but it can be a special day for everyone. Some people like to stick to the silly leap-year tradition that a lady may ask a guy out or even pop the question with a ring and everything.
Let’s start by asking what exactly is a leap year? And why do we get a free day every 4 years?
The reason for a leap day or a leap year is because our calendar does not follow the Earth’s orbit around the sun exactly. Each year, we have a little time left over because there isn’t actually 365 days in a year, but rather 365.242190 days. So every 4 years, we put all that time together into an extra day - and that day is 29 February. Watch this video for a visual representation of the science involved: https://youtu.be/hyerB4Ek8sU
Not sure how to use this extra time? Here are some ideas:
- Phone a friend or relative you haven’t spoken to in a while
- Ask out your crush
- Propose to your significant other
- Treat yourself to a relaxing day at the spa
- Go to the beach
- Take a range of photo’s where your whole family ‘leaps’ for joy
- Switch off and read your favourite book
- Do some baking
- Plant a herb garden
- Visit an old friend
- Go on a date
- Stay in your pj’s and watch a bunch of movies or binge-watch your favourite series
- Host a fancy (or not so fancy) dinner party
- Declutter your closet
- Go camping for the weekend (or set up camp in your backyard)
- Write your future self a letter where you capture what you hope to happen in the next four years - kind of like a time capsule upon which you can reflect come 2024
- Do a D.I.Y project at home
- Be creative - paint, draw, write, whatever makes you happy
- Get active - no better time to get your blood pumping than the extra day of the year
- Do your weekly or monthly grocery shopping and save yourself the trouble later (and always pay with your bsmart card!)
- Try something new - food, activities, places … anything goes
So, there you have it. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Whether you’re popping the question or celebrating an extra special birthday on 29 Feb, just be sure to spend this bonus day the best way you possibly can!
Feel free to share with us how you spent your leap day! We’d love to hear from you.
Join our Facebook group!